Biblical Fiction Book Review: Shadow of the Storm




Publisher's Description

"Having escaped Egypt with the other Hebrews during the Exodus, Shira is now living in freedom at the foot of Mt. Sinai, upon which rests the fiery glowing Cloud containing the shekinah glory of God. When the people disobey Yahweh and build a golden idol, the ensuing chaos gives Shira an unexpected opportunity to learn the arts of midwifery. Although her mother wishes for her to continue in the family weaving trade, Shira's gifts shine brightest when she assists with deliveries. In defiance of her mother, Shira pursues her heart's calling to become an apprentice midwife.

When a delivery goes horribly wrong, Shira finds herself bound to a man who betrayed her, the caretaker of three young children, and the target of a vengeful woman whose husband was killed by Shira's people, the Levites. As contention between the Hebrew tribes and the foreigners fans the flames of another dangerous rebellion, Shira will come face-to-face with the heartbreak of her past that she has kept hidden for so long. How can she let go of all that has defined her to accept the love she's denied herself and embrace who she truly is?"


My Book Review

Is it possible for a sequel to be even better than the original? In the case of Shadow of the Storm, by Connilyn Cossette, the answer is yes! While I greatly enjoyed Counted with the Stars, the first book in the “Out from Egypt” trilogy, I liked Shadow of the Storm even more! In this second book in the series, the author has crafted a story rich in character development, engaging plot, and vibrant descriptions. 

When I read, I am always on the look-out for beautifully written sentences that move me, and I found many such sentences in Shadow of the Storm. The themes of forgiveness, redemption, and courage that blossom throughout the novel are truly inspiring as well. This book also contains a very satisfying blend of well-paced adventure, suspense, and romance that drew me in and kept me enthralled from the first page to the last. I will often take the time to reread novels that were meaningful to me. Shadow of the Storm is a book that I will certainly keep on my shelf to savor again in the future.



*I received an advanced copy of the novel at the author's book release event. I have shared a personal and honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fiction/Time-Slip Book Review: Hidden Among the Stars

Historical Fiction Review: The Seamstress

Contemporary Romance Book Review: Julia Monroe Begins Again