Historical Fiction Book Review: A Love So True




 Publisher's Description 

"Evelyn Wisely has a heart for the orphans of Teaville and works at a local mansion that rescues children out of the town's red-light district and gives them a place to live. But her desire to help isn't limited to orphans. The owner of the mansion, Nicholas Lowe, is willing to help her try to get the women working in prostitution out of the district as well--if she can gain the cooperation and support of local businessmen to go against the rest of the community.

David Kingsman has recently arrived in Teaville from Kansas City to help with one of his father's companies in town. While he plans on staying only long enough to prove his business merit to his father, he's shown interest in Evelyn's work and is intrigued enough by her to lend his support to her cause.

They begin with the best of intentions, but soon the complications pile up and Evelyn and David's dreams look more unattainable every day. When the revelation of a long-held secret creates a seemingly insurmountable rift between them, can they trust God still has a good plan for them despite all that is stacked against them?"

My Book Review

A Love So True, by Melissa Jagears, is the second book in the Teaville Moral Society series, but it can certainly be read as a stand-alone novel. In fact, I have not yet read the first book in the series, but I found A Love So True to be very engaging and easy to follow. I thoroughly enjoyed reading A Love So True, and I will definitely be adding Melissa Jagears’ other books to my reading pile. 

Christian historical fiction is one of my favorite genres of literature, and I found the plot of A Love So True to be utterly unique and intriguing. The characters were very well-developed and their struggles, insecurities, fears, passions, and beliefs were so believable, that I often had to remind myself that I was reading a work of fiction. As I read this book. I found that the characters had an authentic vulnerability that made them utterly relatable and unforgettable. I also found that I developed a deep emotional connection to this novel’s themes of grace, forgiveness, and compassion. This novel was tender, emotionally stirring, and ultimately uplifting. It is a novel that I will not soon forget, because its impact on my thoughts and on my heart is sure to be a lasting one. This novel was enjoyable, thought-provoking, and moving. I recommend it wholeheartedly.


*I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher. All opinions in this review, whether positive or negative, are entirely my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fiction/Time-Slip Book Review: Hidden Among the Stars

Historical Fiction Review: The Seamstress

Contemporary Romance Book Review: Julia Monroe Begins Again